Re: Brake Calipers 101 and Wheel Bearing 101 Thanks

To: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Calipers 101 and Wheel Bearing 101 Thanks
From: "James A. Ruffner" <erl@virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 23:33:01 -0400
Cc: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Mike:

I dropped you a note based on the original Service Instruction Manual from
Standard-Triumph:  it clearly states, fill the entire hub!  PERIOD.  This is the
factory standard, not a bunch of general opinions, maybe based on cars that do
not use the deep resesses of the TR hubs and well-intentioned, but rather the
manufacturer's specs.  I suggest that you follow them.  I saw some rather
peculiar thoughts on wheel bearing greasing, including that maybe the reason
that you kept tightening the nut on the bearing was that the felt grease seal
was shrinking (no way!), to grease melting...

The bearing must have a specific float, and torque applied.  Too tight, the
bearing dies fast, too loose it rattles, and eventually dies.

Second point, make sure that the inner race does not spin on the stub axle.  If
it does, the axle needs replacement, or needs to be taken to a shop that can
knurl and resize it.  If you don't, the inner race will wear the axle, overheat,
and perhaps sieze and ruin lots more.

Cheers...