RE: The Philosophy of Originality

To: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: The Philosophy of Originality
From: "Phil @ Home" <philpatt@kalamazoo.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 01:20:57 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
> My humble argument is that these cars have historic as well as personal
> value.  As a relative newcomer to the scene, including local club
> membership, I hear proud talk of "daily drivers".  That's cool.
> But not TR3
> daily drivers.  Get the point?  These cars are quickly becoming history,
> like it or not.  The only reason we can still use our TR6s as "daily

Well, my (father's) TR3 is as much a daily driver as the weather allows.
Since I started driving it daily about 3 years ago, I've put more miles on
it (about 7k) than he did in the previous 20 years.  Course, I've also blown
up the differential (tire squealing in driveway - chipped spider gear tooth
to begin with though) two years ago and blew up the 1st gear countershaft
(or some such thing) drag racing a '58 MGA last year, but I've since learned
how to replace a rear end, and rebuild a transmission.

This past summer my Dad and I (and my 4yr old son) attended the TRF Summer
party and both Dad and I Autocrossed the TR3.  The old man even beat me (by
only .4 secs at least) at it.  Needless to say, there will be a rematch in
2000!

The TR3 is currently wintering in Louisville KY at my sister's place but
will return to Michigan sometime in June (If I can pry it out of her
fingers - not sure letting her have it was such a good idea <GRIN>).

I think you'll find an equal percentage of TR3 owners who drive their cars
daily as any of the others.  There will always be people who, for whatever
reason, decide to limit the cars road time (and risk, too).

I suspect you'll hear from several of them from this list too.

Anyways, enjoy driving your TR6, and perhaps we'll pass on some highway
somewhere....

Cheers!

Phil Pattengale
54 TR2  - TS1440-LO {project #1}