RE: New TR6 engine's oil pump won't prime

To: "Ronald A. Dowty" <rdowty@jspp.com>, TR Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: New TR6 engine's oil pump won't prime
From: Gary & Priscilla Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 12:12:35 -0500
Ronald,

I agree with Jim Davis that liberal application of assembly lube will
work and I never thought of filling via the bypass as suggested by
Brian.  You might want to consider the following trick.  It worked for
me and should for you, provided of course the pump is functional.
There's only a small drawback, it might get messy, but otherwise it's
easy to do.

If you position the engine at #1 TDC, take the dizzy and the driven gear
out of the hole.  At this point, if it looks dry down the hole, slowly
pour some fresh oil down the opening to get some into the pump.  What
you want to do next is to "spin" the oil pump drive shaft,
COUNTERCLOCKWISE, to get the pump to prime and to fill the engine's oil
gallerys.

You'll have to fabricate an extension for your drill that can mate to
the oil pump shaft.  I used a piece of copper pipe to which I cut a slit
of the correct size.

Now for the messy part.  When the pump starts, it will cause a 'gusher'
which comes out of the dizzy hole.  When you're ready to spin it, get a
helper to loosely hold a rag around your fabricated shaft and over the
dizzy hole.  Give it a COUNTERCLOCKWISE spin for a several seconds
(maybe 10-15?) and you'll get fresh oil pumped through out the engine.

Good luck,
Gary
Digest
'75 TR6