TR6 rear shocks: lever or tube?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 rear shocks: lever or tube?
From: Robert J Carley <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:19:54 -0500 (EST)

Could someone explain the benefit of converting a TR6 from lever arm
shocks to tube shocks at the rear?

My rear shocks are strong, and I have used slightly heavier oil in them.
There is no bounce in the rear of the car, nor is there any pronounced sag
on acceleration. i.e., if you push down on the rear of the car, the body
only slightly goes down, and then immmediately returns to normal.

I have heard people state that the tube shock conversion gives better
cornering, but is this in comparison to a TR6 that has poor lever shocks?

Is the conversion that much better than lever shocks in good shape?

I am looking at ways of making my 6 corner better.  If I don't have much
power (standard engine), at least I should have fun in the corners.

I have stock springs (excellent), all nylon\poly bushings front and rear,
spax shocks (non-adjustable) on front, stock front sway bar, and Pirelli
tires on KN minilite replica wheels.

Also, would stiffer/lower springs help that much?

Robert Carley
Ontario, Canada
73 TR6