RE: TR6 PI fuel smell in trunk

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Ian Viles" <ianviles@derbysmoths.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: RE: TR6 PI fuel smell in trunk
From: "Rob C Swift" <RobSwift@PetCentre.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 07:55:16 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"

Ian,

        I had the same trouble with my '75 TR6 (carb model).  In my case the
leak
turned out to be that a large portion of the bottom of my fuel tank had
rusted through. It was not visible at first (the leak), but after a few
weeks the smell became stronger and stronger, and eventually I was able to
see paint damage in the trunk due to leaking fuel.  I had to replace my tank
to solve the problem.  I certainly hope your problem is much simpler than
this!

BTW- I believe that this problem is due to the fact that the vibration pad
under the fuel tank holds water.  The rust area on my tank seemt to mirror
the shape of the pad.  Has any one else had this problem?  Do I need to have
that pad under the tank at all?  I have considered replacing it with some
kind of foam rubber, or something that will not hold water.  Any suggestions
are appreciated.

Rob Swift