Re: J Type OD Compatibility

To: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Subject: Re: J Type OD Compatibility
From: Brian Johnson <b.johnson@diamond.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 21:25:24 +0000
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Brian Sanborn wrote:

> Listers,
>
> Sorry, I know this question was recently discussed.... but it so damn
>confusing.
>
> There is a J-Type OD from a 76 TR6 for sale in my local area and my question
>is....Can this be installed in a TR4.
>
> My engine, flywheel, clutch and gearbox are all late TR4A vintage.
>
> Here at work... I can't seem to locate the URL of the archive site.  Thanks
>for your patience
>
> Brian Sanborn
> '62 TR4 CT16260  Groton,MA
> TR4 Website www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/home.html

Brian

I have a gearbox with a J type O/D at the bottom of my
garden !  Someone gave it to me and I thought that I could
fit it to my TR4 despite the 'experts' saying that it was
not possible without cutting the frame.  They were correct,
I even put the gearbox in place on to the engine to see how
it lined up.... and rapidly came to the conclusion that I
should take the alternative route and use a pre 1973 Triumph
2000  'A' type O/D and gearbox.  I don't know if these were
sold in the USA, but if you can get one they fit fairly
easily, but you do have to make some mods including the
clutch plate, speedo recalibration and making up a rear
mount - I bought a 'proper' rear mount but found it was
useless, so I made one out of angle iron.   There are plenty
of A type O/D boxes in the UK, but they cost a lot, but then
again you don't have to make the mods like I did.
I have out the full details on a web site (see below)
including how I wired it up.  I wouldn't be without the O/D
now that I have it !
--
Cheers
Brian Johnson  (Loughborough - UK)