RE: 3A overdrive electricals

To: "'Day.John@fin.gc.ca'" <Day.John@fin.gc.ca>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 3A overdrive electricals
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:49:05 -0700
JD :

The wire from C1 to the ammeter is supposed to go to the battery side of
the ammeter, which will be different depending on whether your car is still
positive ground or not.  If you get it on the wrong side, everything will
still work, but the ammeter needle will jump when the OD is engaged.  I
have my car deliberately wired this way, so that the ammeter indicates only
current to/from the battery.

C1 can actually be wired to any circuit capable of handling the 20+ amps of
pull-in current.  IMO Triumph just wanted to avoid having the ammeter
needle hit the peg every time the OD was engaged, (the horns are also wired
to the battery side, for the same reason) and the back of the ammeter is
just the logical place under the dash.

If there is already a wire on C1, you should probably remove it (or use it
to run to the ammeter).

Randall
59 TR3A