Re: Brake Light Switch

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Light Switch
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:48:37 -0400
Arakelian, Peter wrote:

> OK folks, about this problem with TR4 brake light switches from Moss.
> First of all, vendors need to be notified of these problems.  We have no
> record of complaints.
> Second, if we are talking about the hydraulic  switch, it may have a trapped
> bubble of air.  Can be bled by unscrewing switch while an assistant
> slowly/lightly presses on pedal to cause slow flow of fluid.  Can/Should be
> done on installation as well.
> Third, if you have tried this and switch still won't work, send it to me
> with information and I will have switch examined by manufacturer.
> If it is the mechanical switch, your adjustment washer may be compressing,
> if not this I would like to get one of these bad ones, too.
> Thanks to all who have posted to list with this.  I don't know how many have
> responded off list, but posting to list keeps all informed.
>
> Peter Arakelian - 1971 TR6
> Domestic Buyer
> Moss Motors, Ltd.
> (805) 681-3400 x3214
> (805) 692-2510 - Fax

Hi Peter,

I don't think either Brian or I were trying to trash Moss stuff.  In fact, I'm
always
thankful Moss is around to offer parts for so many different marques all under
one
roof.

Although one of the other replies specifically had better luck with a TRF part,
personally have not.  In fact the switch you sell looks identical the the TRF
one,
and  probably come from the same supplier.  Both failed in about a year give or
take
on my own car which is used fairly heavily year-round.  I also replace a fair
number
throughout the year as inspections come due, etc.

I think Moss quality is every bit as good as anyone else's, but its a question
of
what's out there to sell.  Please contact me off list and I will send you a bad
switch
for your examination.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars