Re: Ok, I'm open to suggestions ...

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ok, I'm open to suggestions ...
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 15:53:43 -0700
iron_horse819@yahoo.com wrote:

> I'll admit I didn't expect much from the motor of my TR4-A (parked 19 years)
> when I bought the car, but I was hoping it would be rebuildable.  This week I
> tried to turn the engine by the big (13/16") bolt on the front of the crank
> nothing, it doesn't budge.... anyone got an idea/suggestion?

You didn't mention removing the head -- a look at the top-end may show why the
engine is siezed as the oil/jelly is a mess but I don't think would keep the
crank
from turning.  May find considerable rust in the cylinders since at least one or
two (with open valves) would have been exposed to air for 19 years!

I haven't done this but have heard of putting ATF into the cylinders and
letting it
sit for a long time (week?) to free up rusted in pistons... at least enough to
allow removal, honing and assessment of the damage.  Good luck.

(Oh yeah, by ATF I mean Automatic Transmission Fluid, not the guys from the
Treasury Department)

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A