Brit's Bio

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brit's Bio
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 21:16:09 +0100
Hi All,

This bio thing seems all the rage so here's mine...

Born in New Mills, Derbyshire and gradually gravitated in an easterly
direction, now in York. Another 40 miles and I go 'splosh' in the North
Sea. Married in '82, divorced by '84-co-respondent was a car. Now 44,
single and carefree (=couldn't care less).
Grammar school education, then vocational diploma in graphic design and
photography. No work in that so I started submitting to car magazines.
First published in 'Kitcars & Specials' in 1982. Became deputy ed. then
editor of 'Kit Car', then went freelance in '91. Did a lot of work for
'Practical Classics' up to about '94. Now, occasionally contribute to
'Classic Cars'.
Began studying psychology in '95, got BSc (Hons) and am now studying at
Masters level.
Motors owned (in any old order):-
'71 Bond Bug (1st vehicle with a steering wheel)
'68 Herald 1200 Convertible(Proud)
'68 Daimler V8250 (Flash college car)
'73 Midget (fun)
'68 B GT (classier fun)
'71 Ford Escort Mk.1 (yawn)
'75 Alfasud 1.3 Ti (unparalleled grip)
'75 TR7, converted to 16 valve (more power than braking)
'73 Scimitar SE5a GTE (dropped off jack, amputated my finger-scrapped
the car for revenge)
'74 Scimitar GTE SE5a (old boiler)
'80 Scimitar GTE SE6a (young boiler)
'86 Scimitar SS1 (drive it quick, it's hideously ugly)
'70 Gilbern Invader Mk.1 (more power than grip)
'75 Datsun 160J SSS (Yuk)
'73 Matra Bagheera (a hoot while it lasted)
'72 Spitfire IV (forever fixing it)
'75 Fiat 124 Sport (brilliant MGB-eater with dodgy electrics)
'79 Fiat 124 Spyder (US import-palled)
'59 S1 Land Rover (macho)
'74 SII Land Rover Airportable (this was called a 'lightweight'!!
'90 Golf GTi (hooligan)
'89 Golf Gti (slighlty older hooligan)
'86 Ford Escort XR3i (just like piles, sooner or later every a**hole
gets one)
'71 Escort Mk. 1 (yawn, nice interior)
''86 Ford Sierra XR4x4i, Turbo Technics conversion.(desperately fast,
desperately thirsty)
'64 Ford Cortina Mk. 1 'Woody' Estate (quaint)
'81 TVR Tasmin 2.8i (the undesirable fixed head)
'?? TVR Vixen (plastic racket)
'69 Sunbeam Alpine (so...fisticated)
'73 Mini (self preservation....)
'71 Mini (.....society)
'65 Rover 110 (called it 'Lurch')
'82 Spartan Kit Car (built on Herald, seemed a good idea at the time)
'83 GTM Kit Car (frugal fun)
'88 JBA Falcon Kit Car (stylish, handling questionable)
'90 Ram Cobra Replica (unfinished, shame)
'90 Westfield 7 SE Kit Car (little beast, big profit)
'86 Citroen BX19 Estate (le yawn)
'84 Volvo 240 Estate (dependable)
'81 Volvo 240 Estate (reliable)
'87 Volvo 740 Estate (upmarket but had a drink problem)
'84 Vauxall Nova ('nuff said)
'90 Vauxhall Cavalier (yes...)
'86 Opel Manta GTJ Hatch (satisfying)
'88 Peugeot 309 (double YUK-given to me in time of dire need.)
'74 Winnebago Centauri (what was I thinking?)
'83 Talbot Camper ('the hut')
'91 Vauxhall Carlton CDXi (current, days numbered)
'72 Triumph 2.5 PI (current)
'72 Special Tuning BGT (new toy)

That's all the ones I can remember. Score so far-Cars 50, Dave 9.5
fingers and periodic loss of the use of wallet.
Cheers,
Dave Hill