Bios - BIG time drain - but fun!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bios - BIG time drain - but fun!
From: "Frank Crowe" <thecrowes@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:18:00 PDT
OK, I’ve spent   W A Y   more time at work than I should have reading all
these Bio’s - I guess I’ve been sucked into the goofing-off-at-work syndrome
also.  Actually, up until a week ago, I had a lot of excess time to play on
the ‘net, working nights and graveyard shift during a 8-week test.... but
that’s another story.

I’m Frank Crowe, live in Carpinteria, California (suburbs of Santa Barbara)
and yes, I am a rocket scientist.  (Actually, we make the satellites, or
portions thereof - we made all of the Landsat series and early weather
satellite instruments, as well as several infra-red type instruments
currently around Earth, Mars, Jupiter and some no longer in the Solar
System.)  I’m 53, married for 30 years and have two daughters - oldest is
currently attending a Masters program in New York State, youngest is a wino
(has a degree in enology and is employed at a winery, as well as writes and
edits wine articles.)  Wife and daughters all appreciate vintage
automobiles, Gearhead older daughter usually drives our classic ‘71 BMW 2002
which she loves.  My wife and I attend local British car shows as well as
antique farm equipment shows.

Was born and raised on a cattle ranch in Northern California.  Decided at a
young age that raising cattle wasn’t for me - too hot, too cold, and cattle
always seems to calve or get sick at very inconvenient times, like when it
is snowing or something.  In fact just spent a few days with my parents, and
had to go move a VERY dead cow  (had been dead for quite a few
days...messy......you get the picture!)

Have been involved with all things mechanical and electronic since I was a
little kid.  One of my first memories is taking apart one of those big old
alarm clocks - and not being able to put it back together.  Also somehow
survived my childhood with a keg of black powder in the basement.  Made a
lot of rockets of all kinds and managed to only singe my hair and burn my
fingers a few times.

I have lusted after a LBCs for years - college roommate had RHD Bugeye (lots
of fun.)  I have only had an LBC for about a year.  Bought my ‘59 TR3 from a
gentleman who had owned the car since 1973, wore it out, then completely
rebuilt the car in 1990,.....then parked it.  When I bought it, it had 500
miles on it and hadn’t run in several years.  Love the “old” styling of a
‘3.  Having a ball fixing the little things he didn’t get around too and
driving it around the area.

Along with the TR3, am restoring a ‘51 International Farmall Cub tractor (my
wife’s project) and currently trying to get my hands on a much older Farmall
F-12 tractor and a one cylinder Fairbanks Morse gas engine (just what I need
- more projects!)  Also considering building a much larger garage! Spent
last Sunday helping a friend get his 1932 Studebaker Indy race car ready for
the Laguna Seca Historics race in a couple of weeks.  Also into Ham radio
(WB6UNH - like a lot of us seem to be,) snowboarding (Usually the oldest guy
on the slopes. So Cal snow sucks, try to go elsewhere) and generally loving
the family and where we live (hard to beat average February high of 65 and
average August high of 75 degrees.)

Current vehicles -
‘59 TR3A TS55223L (wishing it had “O”)
‘82 Volvo with 250,000 miles (loaned to youngest daughter.)
‘86 Volvo with 160,000 miles (loaned to oldest daughter to suffer the ice
and salt of New York State.)
‘71 BMW 2002 - wife’s current daily driver, on loan from oldest daughter.
‘94 GMC pickup - my daily driver.
Past vehicles -
‘72 Audi 100 - Great body by Mercedes, terrible drive train by NSU
Autounion.
‘56 VW
‘64 International Pickup
‘59 International Pickup

This bio got a lot longer than I planned! Anybody tracking us statistically?
  Would be very interesting!

I really appreciate this forum - lots of great info.  Keep up good work!

Frank