Re: Converting a Stag tach to function with a V6

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Converting a Stag tach to function with a V6
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 18:51:05 -0400
Cc: Jack McGahey <McGaheyRx@aol.com> charset=ISO-8859-1
Jack McGahey writes:

>In a message dated 99-08-02 20:54:23 EDT, ArthurK101@aol.com writes:
>
><< The engine HAD
> been converted to a Ford Mustang V6 (2.8L).  I know, I know.
>
> I have the original Smith's tachometer.  It is for a V8 engine (says so
>right
> on the face).  I want to convert it to function >>
>
>Art
>It will be verry simple to make your Smith's tach properly functional
>again. Here's all you have to do:
>Step 1: remove and throw away dull, reliable, repairable Ford engine.
>           entirely too many people understand it and parts are just way
too
>           easy to get - besides it doesn't leak enough oil, so after you
>           drive away, people will know you're not really driving British.
>Step 2:devote an inordinate amount of time and money to the search
>          for, acquisition and installation of a real character-building,
>          challenging Triumph Stag engine. I've never actually owned one
>         of these, but I'm pretty sure its the one with too many cylinders
>         that looks like somebody dropped 2 Strombergs on it at really
>         odd angles.
>Step 3: hook up tach to proper engine
>sorry, but you knew you had this coming didn't you ?  ;-)
>Cheers
>Jack Mc

No no no, Jack, it goes like this:
Step 1: Call brother Ted at TS Imported Automotive and order up a
        motor from a Rover 3500 (you know, the motor that
        SHOULD have been there all along).
Step 2:  Mate it up to a TR7 5 speed gear box and drop in the
        engine bay.
What do you get?  More cubic inches and horsepower than either
the Ford engine there currently or the Stag, um, engine that came
out.  Bullet proof reliability WITH genuine Triumph (or at least Rover)
origins, and an engine with too many cylinders that looks like
somebody dropped 2 Strombergs on it at really odd angles.

Option 2: Call Dan Masters about droping in a 300 HP Ford GT40
5 litre V8.  That should work fine with your Tach!

Dave Massey