Re: Why is emory cloth bad?

To: Butch Lewis <butchl@eudoramail.com>
Subject: Re: Why is emory cloth bad?
From: Dianne Fullam <dfullam@albany.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:42:24 +0000
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Butch,

ISTR reading somewhere that the abrasive media on emory cloth is silicon
carbide, which is conductive. If it is used on a commutator, any loose
abrasive particles can accumulate in the slots between the segments and
short them out, although I would think that copper particles from the
commutator would do the same thing.  My old factory manual says to use
glasspaper, whatever that is. Probably silicon oxide. That, garnet and
aluminum
oxide are all non-conductive.

Cheers,

Pete Fullam