Re: TR6 Blue Smoke

To: Chris Kincer <KincerC@area.abcbank.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Blue Smoke
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 07:19:26 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.netm>
>After driving my six back from the body shop from getting buffed.  I
>noticed that when I downshift and come to a stop smoke comes out the
>exhuast.  But not when I am accelerating.  Any help?
This is usually a sign of worn valve guides (or valve seals of which TR's
don't normally have)  If the engine has a lot of miles on it, is otherwise
stock and operating normally, this is probably the condition causing the
smoke.  The amount (and color which would be a bluish/white) of smoke would
indicate the wear - What happens during deceleration with the throttles
closed, is a high vacuum is created in the cylinder and intake tract behind
the throttle plates.  If the guides are worn, this will allow [excess] oil
to enter or be "sucked" past the guides, and valves, into the chamber.
When you step on the gas, all this excess oil that has mixed with the
incoming fuel/air mixture is burned and the result is the cloud of smoke
you see.  The cure is, you guessed it, new valve guides-

72 FI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)