Re: Electric Tach question

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Electric Tach question
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 22:00:48 -0400
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Joe Curry writes:

>I have examined the insides of a Spit's Smiths electronic tach and it is
>controlled by a Texas Instruments integrated circuit.  This circuit is a
>custom product made specifically for Smiths to incorporate in their
>Tachs.  Therefore, I doubt anybody will be able to locate any specific
>details on the function of the device not the input/output parameters.
>Therefore, the best approach is to intercept the signal going into the
>Tach and change it at that point.  Instead of having 4 pulses each
>revolution, you would be getting 8.  So it stands to reason that for a 4
>cyl tach to be accurate on a V8, you would have to divide the number of
>pulses coming from the coil tap by 2 and feed the remaining pulses to
>the tach.
>
>That would satisfy the requirement of the tach and not necessitate
>opening the unit at all.
>
>Dan Masters can probably whip out a circuit to supply that function in
>his sleep!  Right Dan?
>
>Dan!  Dan, are you listening?
>
>Regards,
>Joe

Joe et al:

I am not familiar with this vintage electric tach but I'll bet it is a
standard LM2907 F/V IC.  Changing it to work on a V8 will be easy
once one figures out which component to change.

However, I am only familiar with the older tachs (60's vintage) that
don't have IC's and are obviously different than this one.  If I could
have one of these to molest for about an hour I'll bet I can figure it
out.

Dave Massey
Electrical Engineer

P.S. I will be in Portland, ME

P.P.S.  You could always change the numbers on the dial face. ;-)