Re: Electric Tach question

To: George Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Subject: Re: Electric Tach question
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 18:22:28 -0700
Cc: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
It depends on the circuit, but most of them use a simple RC frequency to
voltage converter circuit, where the output can be scaled by changing a
single resistor.  Thus, your hand-held tach probably had resistors
connected to the 2/6/8 switch, and many in-dash aftermarket units have a
couple of resistors mounted on the back, where you cut one lead for 6
cyl, two leads for 8 cyl.

Unfortunately, I've never seen a Smith's electronic tach, so I have no
idea where it's scaling resistor is.  Nor do I know if a gauge shop
would have this info.

However, even if the info on the Smith's circuit is unavailable, it
shouldn't be too hard to build a new one and hide it inside the case.

Randall
59 TR3A "daily driver wanna be"