Re: 69 GT6 rear leafs

To: pellemr@nbnet.nb.ca (Michel R. Pelletier)
Subject: Re: 69 GT6 rear leafs
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 07:41:09 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
IMO the tool shown in the Bentley manual to lift the spring while
reassembling the rear suspension is definitely worth it.  I did reassemble
my GT-6 MK3 rear suspension the first time before I fabricated the bar.  It
took much longer than with the bar.

You might consider upgrading to the Spit swing spring (71 up and also 73
GT-6) as recommended by the  BL competition dept back in the mid 70s.  I
found that the use of the larger dia. Spit front anti-roll bar helped
balance the car when adding the swing spring - I've also added a 5/8 dia.
Addco rear sway bar.

FWIW, my first LBC was a 78 Spit with a sagged rear suspension.  My then
local British parts dealer sold rear shocks with integral coil over springs
that lifted the rear end of the car about 0.5 in. over stock height and the
slightly stiffer rear end seemed to balance the car quite nicely (or maybe
my expectations were lower since my reference vehicles at the time included
a 49 CHevy P/U and a then 240,000 mile 61 Ford Falcon - now nearing the end
of a 6 year refurbishment).