Bailey

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bailey
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 16:46:33 EDT
On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 12:25:59 +1000
Trevor Jordan <tjordan@vic.bigpond.net.au>
Wrote: Subject: RE:SWMBO

It is "Bailey", as in the Old Bailey.  Does anyone know the origin of that
name?

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U

At 2:01 PM +1000 20/6/99, Michael Grey wrote:
>SHE by H. Rider Haggard
>
>At 02:02 PM 6/19/99 -0700, greenman62@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>    Lemme lob this out to see how many of you triumphisti know just
>>    where the phrase "She Who Must Be Obeyed" comes from...
>>
>>    No points at all if you say, "from Rumpole of "RUMPOLE OF THE
>>    BAILY".
>>
>>Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois
>>1962 TR4 (CT4852L)
Re your question:

"BAILIFF"
1.An official employed by a sheriff to serve writs, make arrests, etc
2. chiefly British: one who manages an estate or farm.

Middle English: baillif, bailie,
from Old French: baillif,
from bail: custody, jurisdiction.

"BAIL"
1.Security deposited as a guarantee that somebody temporarily freed from
custody will return to stand trial.
2.Temporary release on bail.
3.One who provides bail.

Middle English: custody, security for appearance,
from Middle French: custody,
from baillier, to have in charge, deliver,
from Middle Latin: bajulare, to control,
from Latin: to carry a load,
from bajulus, porter.

from Leon F Guyot.
(there must be some advantages to being half-French/half-English!!!)

'63 Triumph Vitesse Cv.

nb. "She who must be obeyed"
I seem to recollect, but am open to correction, that the English actor,
George Cole uttered that phrase regularly, in his T.V. series: 'Minder'
(also referred to as "Er indoors"). I think it ran from the late 1970's until
the mid-1980's. His minder was called (in the programme), Terry Mc.Cann, who
previousy starred in 'The Sweeny' in the early 1970's with 'John Thaw'.

???
Leon