Re: Triumph/Indian/Norton trademarks and please (low LBC content)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumph/Indian/Norton trademarks and please (low LBC content)
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 08:32:18 GMT
On 16 Jun 1999, Chris Lillja wrote:

> ... because Rover/BMW is
> certainly in the car business and could (in theory, anyway) re-badge the Z3
> to meet the challenge and defend the Triumph trademark in the US market.

Let us really, really hope not.

Although contributing much novel thinking, good engineering and sound
ideas, the subtle art of badge engineering, along with the Austin Allegro
square steering wheel, certainly does not rank among the finest hours of
the British motor industry.

Instead of a graceful death, far, far too many fine British marques have
been dishonored by badge engineering. Presumably in the belief that just
switching the brand, more or less, would transform a vehicle into
something which it is not.

Regretfully, Triumph got its share of this folly with the Honda Acclaim.
Luckily, it was mostly for the home market, and we have surely all more or
less suppressed it by now.

This doesn't mean I'm all against revitalizing old names, far from it. But
there has to be substantially more to it than just a badge. The current
Triumph motor cycle production is a remarkable example, for one. Even
Standards use of the Triumph badge for its sportier line of vehicles was
fair enough. Despite sharing of engines, the Triumph range of cars marked
another era and generation compared to the Standard.

But please, the world should be spared of yet any BMW, Honda or whatever
being badged up as a Triumph.

Egil
who sees the main thing re. supporting a properly retired marquee as being
that it will never be associated with diesels, front-wheel-drive, SUVs or
other horrors. Just like deceased rock stars are much better suited for
fan-dom since there is no risk that they will become neither religious nor
generally silly as they reach old age.
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway