Re: bad wire wheels?

To: Winnie Olmer <who@sover.net>
Subject: Re: bad wire wheels?
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 22:08:25 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi, Winnie,

I got some brand new Dunlop painted wires from Motor Wheel Services.
They just wouldn't balance.
We checked them by setting them up on a balancer and looking-with a
reference pointer. My wheels centres were not central by up to 3/8". At
MWS, we checked 20+ wheels to find five good ones.

You could use the same method to check that the rims are circular,
centered and true. As for centres: if they are used wheels, spline marks
in the conical inner seatings show that they have been used and
overtigthtened on worn hubs.

Regards,

Dave Hill (UK)