Re: Oil Weight For The Spit

To: Chip19474@aol.com
Subject: Re: Oil Weight For The Spit
From: Bill Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:30:53 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Chip,
        I have run ALL of my triumphs on Duckhams'Q', a good old-fashioned
20W-50. I would estimate that in total I have driven about 200,000 miles
in various Triumphs using this oil. I have never had any problems with
any engine running on this oil (other than those which were already on
their last legs when I acquired them). My current Herald 1200 Saloon had
an indicated 78,000 miles when I bought her, and I have taken this to
111,000 with a cylinder head rebuild around 83,000 (the car had been
sitting for several years before I bought her and the valves had rusted,
which caused the sealing of the valves to deteriorate once I
recommissioned her.) - I don't believe the bottom end has ever been
apart. This car has been thrashed mercilessly in my ownership, but the
oil has been changed regularly, usually at around 3000 miles, but
occasionally upto 5000.
        I realise local weather conditions will play a part in what you use,
but in the not-so-extreme conditions here in the UK, I am loathe to use
anything other than 'Q'.
        No connection with Duckhams (my wife works for Castrol), just a very
satisfied customer,
        Regards,
                Bill.

--
                            This Message sent by:
\________________________/  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
 | |                  | |   1973 Spitfire MkIV
 |_|                  |_|   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup