RE: shop lighting with a 7' ceiling?

To: "'Mark Gendron'" <mister_toad@email.msn.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: shop lighting with a 7' ceiling?
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 16:47:14 -0700
Mark :

You should probably check with someone who is familiar with the local
codes, as it varies widely from area to area (or even one municipality to
another).  Try calling city hall and asking for the building inspector's
office.

I believe around here (Torrance, CA), you are supposed to cover the surface
above the lighting (ie the underside of the next story's ceiling) with a
double layer of sheetrock (other materials, like an extra thick sheetrock,
may also be acceptable).  The lighting fixtures are probably not rated as a
firestop.

A 'box' around the lighting fixture would probably also be OK, if it was
thick enough, and went over the top.

Randall