shop lighting with a 7' ceiling?

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: shop lighting with a 7' ceiling?
From: "Mark Gendron" <mister_toad@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 15:18:32 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
I am planning to remodel my garage, which is located in the basement (common
in Seattle). I want to install fluorescent lighting; because of the low
ceiling height, I want the lighting to be flush with the ceiling. I believe
I can locate fixtures between the joists (2x10's), and mount plastic
diffuser flush with the ceiling.
However, I need to maintain fire resistance throughout the entire ceiling. I
believe I could address this by sheetrocking the space between the joists
where each light fixture would be located, creating a "box" to contain the
fixture. Is this a correct approach?
How far apart should the fixtures be located to provide adequate shop
lighting?
Thanks
-mg