Re: Chrome resto trick?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Chrome resto trick?
From: Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 08:31:12 -0700
Cc: cowan@erg.sri.com, randallyoung@earthlink.net
Hi Randall,

Thanks for the input.  Maybe Jay Lamm was referring to Naval Jelly, but his
description (see below) makes me think not.  The only stuff I ever used
(pink bottle) dries to a non-uniform grey color (usually w/ bubble holess
as I recall). I always wire brush the result before painting.

Lamm's description (from How to Restore British Sports Cars): "When
choosing a rust remover, make certain that it dries to a light enough shade
to blend in with the chrome.  Silver, light gray or even glossy white will
do --- avoid rust removers that dry black or red.  Wipe this onto the part
[...] then go back and remove it with a rag moistened with mineral spirits.
 The remover should remain in the pits while coming off the chrome plating
itself."

Maybe Lamm means a paint?  Like Rustoleum.  But I'm pretty sure that
mineral spirits will take it out of the pits just about as fast as off the
chrome.  OTOH, there must be a lot of cars out there with pitted chrome and
someone may know of what Lamm speaks....

Still confused about chrome,
Cregg Cowan
71 TR6  CC63192L