Chrome resto trick?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Chrome resto trick?
From: Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 07:45:32 -0700
Cc: cowan@erg.sri.com
Fellow scions,

The chrome on my beast, like that on many older cars, has developed small
rust pits.
In Jay Lamm's "How to Restore British Sports Cars" (1992), he says a good
cleaning (using mild abrasives if necessary) will usually remove the brown
spots but leave shiny pits.  He says to then use a "rust remover" to
prevent the pits from turning brown again and to make certain the rust
remover dries to a light enough shade to blend with chrome (light gray or
even gloss white).  This sounds appropriate for my daily driver.

The question(s):
1. What's a rust remover (doesn't sound like Lamm means a rust converter)?
2. What brands/types produce a "light enough shade"?  Where do I get it?

TIA,
Cregg Cowan
71 TR6 CC63192L
Moutain View, California USA