Re: battery boil over?

To: HMENTZEN@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: battery boil over?
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 20:53:56 EST
In a message dated 2/27/99 8:15:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, HMENTZEN@AOL.com
writes:

> This past week my 79 Spit (daily driver in New England) developed a problem
>  where battery acid leaked into the passenger's footwell. The battery is
less
>  than 1 month old. (Sears Weatherhandler). When installed  the charging
> system
>  passed. Could my problem be related to the voltage regulator? Are there
> things
>  to check or am I better offf replacing it with a new unit.

Hans,

With the engine running at 1500 RPM or better, check the voltage at the
positive battery terminal - if it's over 15, your regulator is out of whack.
Much over 15 will overcharge the battery, and may cause it to boil.

If it's under 15 volts, your battery was just defective.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74