RE:TR4 Steeering wheel

To: Bill Eley <JBEley@4gl.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE:TR4 Steeering wheel
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 10:00:31 -0500
>Here's a dumb request:  Does anyone have, or know of, an original or =
>repro steering wheel for an early TR4?  I'm willing to pay the "right =
>price - a.k.a. top dollar" for one in good condition.  TRF no longer has =
>them.=20

You might also look for real/imitation period dealer installed
steering wheels.  I have a Les Leston which is really nice (Late
TR4A, though)

>Also, received my new addition Piggott's book today.  No sign of any =
>TR4's with the TR3 shift boot.  I was perplexed by his statement that =
>the release lip on the gas cap should face the driver (mine doesn't), =
>but then I realized he was talking about right-hand drive cars.  Us =
>yanks should watch out for that easily-missed assumption!   My car also =
>has the nice polished center panel instead of the black crackle finish =
>which was instituted 51 cars after mine.   Great book.

I realize that this literally means that the release lip should face the
Passenger side in the USA.   BUT.....

They made it face that way at the factory for the convenience of the driver
so the release was easy to reach and the cap opened away from
the driver.  I'd say (and set it that way) that the cap release should
be on the DRIVER's side even in the USA!

-Tony
ARhodes@compuserve.com