Re: MG vs. Triumph

To: "Ron and Angie" <nottingham@alltel.net>, "Dave Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "TR List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MG vs. Triumph
From: Peter <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 18:00:17 -0800
Just a note re: the MGC. It is NOT strictly an MGB with a Healey engine. It
has a different front subframe entirely. Torsion bars  instead of coil
springs, tube shox instead of levers. Bigger brakes and wheels to stop the
greatly increased momentum. Handling nowhere near as predictable as a B.
The engine, unfortunately, is not the same as a 3000, close, but not the
same. I have one. It is not simply an MGB with a bigger engine as one could
describe the B-V8. I'm not sure that it would perform better than a TR6 in
any trim.
Peter C... with a C, but without a Triumph
---------------------
At 06:23 PM 12/9/98 -0500, Ron and Angie wrote:

>Sure, MG could roll out the MGB-GT V8, but those were never officially
>imported into the states.  So, I'm sticking by my guns, stock for stock,
>Triumph beats MG.  Now, comparing a TR6 with an MGC, I'd say the MGC would
>take it, but then the MGC has a half liter of displacement on the 6.
>Comparing the MG V8 with the TR8, I'd still stick with the TR8.  The Triumph
>has a better chassis to start with, remember, the car was originally
>designed for a V8, the MGB started life with a 4, then got the Healey 6
>(MGC), and eventually the V8.
>
>I've seen race prepped TR8's clobber the likes of race prepped late 80s
>Camaros, so I know a properly prepared TR8 is a force to be reckoned with.
>What the MG gains from a lighter weight, the TR8 makes up in handling and
>suspension refinements.  In hindsight, maybe Triumph did have the right car
>in the TR8, but at the wrong time.
>
>Ron and Angie - Dalton, Ga

Peter Caldwell
MGC-GT  , 100-4, '31 MM8 Cammy, Innocenti S,
'52 Champ, '60 L-R 109 SW, 3 '64-73 L-R 88's
nosimport@mailbag.com
Contact for: The Columbia County Bonspiel
        Curling on 13 sheets at 5 clubs in WI
          Feb. 5 - 7 1999