Re: Gas in oil

To: amdixon@erols.com
Subject: Re: Gas in oil
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 06:33:22 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Would like to weigh in here. The grey sludge in question here was present in
the bottom of virtually every sump I have ever pulled. I believe this stuff
consists mainly of ex-crankshaft bearing and piston material - aluminum and
lead mostly - and water. 10 times normal crankshaft end play with gunk in the
sump indicates a rebuild. So does 10 times crankshaft end play with a spotless
sump. Same is true of bearings, etc. which are easy enough to check with the
sump off. The amount of gunk is not the determining factor here.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4
<< I'm with you Joe,
 the TR I bought had no smoke, plenty of power (It had been reasonably
 recently been rebuilt), and as I later found out, 0.041 crankshaft end float.
 Fortunately the machine shop says they can fix the crankshaft. It's going to
 cost me the same as a refurbished (I guess that's what they're going to do).
 I too had gray sludge at the bottom of the pan.
 On 11/05/98 11:46 PM Joe Curry said...