Re: The Right Stuff

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, Bob Jones <JONES_M2@popmail.firn.edu>
Subject: Re: The Right Stuff
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 09:23:15 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 8:39 PM -0700 10/4/98, Joe Curry wrote:
>Bob,
>I have always been of the opinion that as long as the container says
>"Pennsylvania Grade" that it is good.  The other grade is Texas grade.
>
>It has to do with the base of the oil.  One is paraffin based and the
>other is asphalt based and I think the Pennsylvania grade is paraffin,
>but it has been too many years since I learned all this.
>
>The oils that fall into that grade are: Pennzoil, Castrol, Kendall,
>Quaker State, and a host of others.
>
>Of course, synthetic lubricants don't apply.

Years ago, my father was involved with the design of the Vulcan
multi-barrel gun at GE. The design team specified that ONLY
Pennsylvania-grade oil be used for the gun. During one of the test-firings,
the weapon failed in a spectacular fashion. It was discovered that someone
had used the wrong oil. At the time (50 years ago) there was a significant
difference. Whether or not that is still the case, I can't say. What Joe
says is correct and I still use Pennsylvania-grade oil.

--Phil