TR Generator Rebuild or Modify?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR Generator Rebuild or Modify?
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 18:22:32 EDT
Sounds like generator brushes just wore out.
Putting in a new set of brushes for $2.55 is pretty darn cheap and easy. I
took the opportunity to push in a new bushing at the commutator end-cap while
I was at it (cut a slot in the old one with a naked hack saw blade and yanked
it out with pliers and a screw driver then tapped in the new $0.75 bushing
with a regular socket from a ratchet wrench). Cleaned up the commutator with
some emery paper and seated the new brushes like-wise and presto! brand-new
like generator! Total cost 'bout 4 bucks .. labor ...couple hours total. I'm
not saying it was super easy on the labor side but the cheap parts and keeping
a great generator and the stock setup appealed to me.
Carl
'64 TR4
ps; After I tuned up the generator I also cleaned up all the points in the
voltage regular and reset to specs with a voltmeter. Charging like a champ
now.