TR6 carb shafts

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 carb shafts
From: "Janssen, Lee K" <lee.k.janssen@lmco.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 07:01:18 -0600
The general thread on TR6 Zenith Stromberg carbs is to send them out to
Apple Hydraulics to have them rebushed. I've got my usual stupid question,
WHY?
At least on the '73 carbs that I just rebuilt the throttle shaft rides on
steel inserts that are part of the aluminum castings. These inserts  hold
the shaft in place and provides the housing for the rubber shaft seals. The
throttle shafts are brass and are definitely softer than the steel inserts.
The shafts were noticeably worn out but measurements of the original bore
indicated there was little if any wear. I just inserted new shafts and
throttle screws, everything aligns perfectly (haven't run them yet).
Maybe I'm missing the point, please educate me on what they do!
Thanks