Re: Axle ratios & Electrics TR3 and 4 - and a bit on 4A

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Axle ratios & Electrics TR3 and 4 - and a bit on 4A
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 15:02:50 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, jonmac wrote:

> TR3 (1957 model year) AXLE RATIOS
> Axle ratio is 3.7:1 from chassis number 13046 onwards. What it was prior to
> that is not stated and I couldn't find.

3.7:1 was the standard ratio from the start of TR2 production through the
end of TR4A production, and for the US versions of the TR250 and TR6.  At
TS13046 (August 1956) Triumph introduced a stronger rear axle assembly,
but the ratio was unchanged.

> TR4 (1962 model year) AXLE RATIO
> It seems the car offered a choice of axle ratios, though whether these were
> country specific I could not determine. Overdrive was available as well for
> both ratios which possibly shoots in the foot any response that the lower
> ratio was for overdrive only cars.
> Axle ratios were 3.7:1 and 4.1:1 though I could not determine the tooth
> count on either for the pinion or crown wheel. I guess its there somewhere
> but none of the archivists were on hand to help. The overall ratios when
> overdrive was fitted to these different diffs gave 3.04:1 and 3.36:1
> respectively

It may shoot it in the foot, but it doesn't kill it. The standard rear
axle ratios were 3.7:1 for non-OD cars and 4.1:1 for OD cars.  However
this doesn't mean that all non-OD cars left the factory with 3.7:1 and all
OD cars with 4.1:1 axles. You could order a non-OD car with 4.1:1 or an OD
car with 3.7:1.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net