Re: Spin on Adapters (and a question)

To: johnw@wrq.com
Subject: Re: Spin on Adapters (and a question)
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:18:42 -0700
Cc: rgt3000@one.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
johnw@wrq.com wrote:

>      My apologies about the misspelling of the word "adapter."

I don't mind if you misspell it (and, in fact, you aren't, I believe, if
we're talking about British use).

>      Do you know of the filters I am asking about?

Yes. I could never get them to fit (the TR6 engine to which I originally
referred resides in a GT6). I had to locate the filter housing at about
a 45-degree angle forward because there was not enough room to the frame
rail to get a filter onto it when pointing straight down. The filter, at
least, stays partly full to minimize time without oil pressure on
start-up.

AutoZone here (rural NM) sells Deutsch as their brand line, and the
Deutsch number which will fit is either a 336 or a 366 (can't remember
which--just checked, and the number is facing the block, naturally
<g>--but think it's 366). Whatever the correct number crosses to in your
area will work.

My complaint with it is that it's a small filter (3" diameter, about
3-1/4" long). I simply change it more frequently.

Virtually all modern filters today incorporate some sort of bypass. The
only time the bypass works is when the filter is plugged, so if you
change oil and filter regularly, you'll likely never have need of it.
However, some filters do incorporate a rubber check valve--this is
necessary to prevent oil draining back when the filter is mounted
upside-down. Were you to remove the mechanical fuel pump, for example,
and mount the filter in that position, one of that type would be highly
recommended.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....