Re: Spin on Adapters (and a question)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spin on Adapters (and a question)
From: johnw@wrq.com
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 07:09:31 -0700
     >Michael D. Porter wrote:

     >The one (oil filter adaptor -ed.) I bought for my TR6 engine from
     >Vicky Brit could not be tightened down enough for the inner land to
     >contact the block (a serious problem,
     >because the sump oil would flow directly into the journals instead of
     >going through the filter)...<snip>

     Get a piece of modeling clay (plasticene), and put a small dollop
     directly on the block where the O-ring (inner) will seat. Fit the
     adaptor, then remove: clay should be cut clean in half or near-so (DO
     clean it ALL out). Once you know this is the state of fit, figuring
     out the outer sealing quality only requires keeping an eagle-eye out
     for oil leaks on the exterior.

     I purchased the adaptor for my '74 TR6 from Moss. It came with a
     choice of O-rings, the clay(!), and instructions specific to this
     inner seal "problem." Be very careful to get this right, as per
     Michael's warning, and return the item if you don't get the fit you
     need. Alternatively, you could have the outer flange of the adaptor
     machined down for a tighter fit, but heck, what's the point of getting
     it if it's this much trouble?

     Now a question: I have used the Fram PH3600 truck filter for filtering
     purposes with this adaptor. It holds more oil, and provides more
     filter area. Problem is I can barely fit it in and you should see the
     tools fly whenever I change the filter! Can anyone give me a
     definitive list of filters (US-based) available for this adaptor,
     along with relief valve specs? I am going to have to go to the smaller
     filter to save myself from...well...myself!

     Lastly, thanks very much to this list for the excellent responses to
     my Gap/Jacking up TR6 question. You folks are great!

     John
     johnw@wrq.com