TR6: Alternator, fixed?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk
Subject: TR6: Alternator, fixed?
From: John Duhart <DUHART@symbol.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 09:51:32 -0400
Hey All,

 OK the Lucas Alternator saga may be resovled.  My filnal problem may of been
the miss wiring of the Voltage regulator.  I have a four-wire regulator.  When
I read the artical on VTR I thought it said you could hook the red or white
wires to '+' or 's'.  Well I hooked the white to '+' and the red to 's'.  Now
IGN light when the ignition was in the ON positiion.  So I finally figured what
the hell and reversed the wires.  PRESTO, the IGN light now come on with the
ignition in the on position.

 OK, now for the strange part.  With the engine running the IGN light still
glows.  Not as bright as when the engine is not running, but it is on.  I
placed a volt-meter across the battery with the engine running, and the voltage
was rising.  It was at 12.4 and moving up.  If I reved the engine the voltage
would jump to 12.8 and move up from there.  Before I started all of the I
measured the batt voltage with the batt disconnected, it was 12.25.  After
letting the engine running for 10-15 minutes and reving it a few times, I
disconnected the battery and masured it again.  it was at 12.34.  Also as I
reved the engine the IGN light would dim, but never go out completely.

 OK, I not that the current can flow through the IGN light in eiter direction.
My question is, is the IGN light on with my engine running because the
alternator is charging my battery?  Opinions please.

Later,
JHD IV