Re: New lister; have a question on TR6.

To: johnw@wrq.com
Subject: Re: New lister; have a question on TR6.
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 10:33:37 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998 johnw@wrq.com wrote:

>      What is the best way to jack up the rear end of the TR6 when you want
>      both chassis rails on 'stands? I have used the jack directly on the
>      differential, but I am concerned that I am putting excess strain on

I used a big board (4x4- 3 1/2" thick) to span the gap between the
chassis rails when jacking my TR4.  Be aware that the rear of the chassis
is different and I was also missing my muffler at the time!  You should be
able to fit a large piece of wood (hard woods are best) in between.  LBCs
are light, but if you hear cracky-splintery noises, let it down quick!

>      Second question is much more involved. The car has about zero body
>      rot, but I still have a solid gap between the door and the rear body
>      panels, especially at the top. One would have to imagine a "V" to get
>      a picture of the gap from bottom to top. I am told this condition can
>      be corrected by replacing the worn rubber between the body and the
>      chassis. I can also reduce this gap to nil by raising the rear of the
>      car. Is the solution as simple as shimming via new rubber at the rear
>      end, or am I looking elsewhere?

Is the chassis solid?  Are you jacking the body to reduce the gap, or the
frame?