RE: Hardtop Storage

To: musson@satie.arts.usf.edu
Subject: RE: Hardtop Storage
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:29:35 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Comments: Authenticated sender is <Brad.Kahler@pop.141.com>
Carl,

I'm glad you included this in your thread.  I had been wondering how
I would get the tub off my 4A when the time comes.  I generally like
to work alone which makes it difficult to do the heavy stuff.  I have
a 30' long 6"x18" I beam running the full length of my garage.  That
supports the floor joists for the upstairs.  You can stand in the
upstairs of my garage and jump up and down and not feel anything
shake!  So your approach using the proper lifting pulleys should work
for me also.  I also built a car dolly for my spitfire from 4x6
lumber and four 6" casters rated at 650lbs each.  Now that the
spitfire is off the dolly my dodge pickup cab is using it.  But I
would imagine before long the 4A will be riding it.

> The body tub (minus all removable parts) weighs somewhere in the 400
> # range.  This means that when it is free hanging there is 100# load
> on each corner.  Since each corner is spread between two rafters,
> there is a 50# load on each joint that might be under stress.    I
> really don't think that is sufficient load to make a building cave
> in, unless there are other factors such as a weakened structure (due
> to age) or other physical damage.    In my case it is a new
> shed/garage and is built to code to withstand hurricane strength
> winds.
>
> Also, this was a short term solution to my situation.  I re-inforced
> the rafters with a 2nd 2x4.  Also, I didn't leave it hanging at any
> time. Each time I raised it 4" I inserted a piece of 4x4 or when it
> was 8" I replaced it with a cement block.  When it got to the full
> working height, the blocks were replaced by heavy duty "work-horses"
> with a 4x4 under the body.  I have now linked the two 4x4's with
> 2x4's, with a stabilizing crossmember halfway between the 4x4's.  I
> will be putting 4" casters (450# load capacity) under the 4 corners
> tonight so that I can lower it back to the floor and roll it onto
> the trailer to take to the bead blaster.    Eventually, I will be
> expanding this dolly to handle the full size of the car and 2 or 4
> additional casters.   I haven't figured out how I am going to
> "raise" the chassis so that the wheels will be off the floor, but
> probably will be somekind of 4x4 "tower".
>
> The lumber is all scrap I had saved over the years; the casters were
> picked up at surplus for $2 each.  Had to pay for the lag bolts and
> screws.     I couldn't see paying $350+ for wheel dollies (Moss
> prices) and then not be able to work on the wheels without jacking
> it up.

Brad

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (After 10 years will be on the road in
March!!!)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Car is finally home and ready for
Restoration)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Boxes & Boxes of parts right now)