Re: Crane 700 ignition

To: rick <rbacon@netcom.ca>
Subject: Re: Crane 700 ignition
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:28:35 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I just recently completed installation of the Crane XR700 on my TR6 - am
extremely pleased with the results.  I also upgraded my coil to a Lucas Sport
Coil at the same time.  Regarding mounting, I considerdd the flat area on
fender well, but chose instead to mount adjacent to wiper motor, and above the
pedal assemblies.  Looks very good there - the unit is now black instead of
bright gold, and looks good in my opinion.  (I felt the spot on fender was
subject to more heat and occasional moisture when driving in rain.)

Don't forget to increase plug gap to take maximum advantage of the hotter
spark.  I would suggest increasing to .035, and pay attention to the section
in instructions regarding ballasted vs. non-ballested installation.  The sport
coil has enough internal resistance to work well with the unit, with no other
external ballast needed.

Martin Libhart
1972 TR6
1970 Spitfire