Re: AC/DC (was Pertronix perplexia)

Subject: Re: AC/DC (was Pertronix perplexia)
From: James Charles Ruwaldt <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 13:39:09 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Isn't the terminology technically that "dynamos" generate DC and
"alternators" generate AC?  Having understood that, do the "alternators"
in our cars generate AC or DC?  What you're describing, Dan, sounds to me
like the operation of a DC generator.  In a DC generator, as in a DC
motor, there are two bent pieces of copper separated by a narrow portion
of the plastic of the rotor.  The brushes are directly opposed to each
other, so that each is always contacting the opposite plate or neither.
Since each brush is always connected to the end of the armature passing
through the same field (for that brush), the current flowing through that
brush always flows in the same direction.
In an AC generator, as in an AC motor, there are two complete rings.  Each
brush is connected to a different ring. Since the rings, and therefore the
brushes, never trade the ends of the armature to which they're connected
while the ends of the armature move from one magnet to the next, the
current reverses direction.
So, what you're describing, Dan, doesn't sound like conversion to DC, but
the actual generation of DC.  Can anyone explain whether car "alternators"
generate DC or rectified AC?
Jim Ruwaldt
'72 TR6 CC79338U
Bloomington, IN