re: The 7/16 Transmission Plug: Man vs. Steel

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re: The 7/16 Transmission Plug: Man vs. Steel
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 30 Oct 97 11:54:33
William F Daehler@DELCO on 10-30-97 11:33:34 AM

 Scott Sebring wrote:
>I can't budge the filler plug. Since it is on the
>side of the transmission housing, it is very awkward to get to.
>I used a 7/16" open end wrench but is starting to round the four
>edges of the plug. The 7/16" closed end won't fit over the plug
>since it seems to tapper (larger) off as it changes to the treads.
>The 1/2" is too large. I soaked, as best can do, in WD 40 and tried
>using a vise lock, but to no avail. I did get a 7/16" and 1/2"
>offset box wrench, but as noted above, the 7/16th won't fit
>down far enough and the 1/2" is too big.
>what size wrench (type) would I need?

Misery loves company.  I'm trying to get the the transmission
drain bolt off myself.  Two minute job?  No, it turned out to be
this weeks project, and I have not yet won the battle.

I went to Sears and bought the 7/16" 8 point socket ($3.00) that
someone on the list recommended this week. It grips better than
the vise grip, but not good enough. It slips.  A  4 point 7/16"
would do it.  But they do not appear to be commercially available.<<

Actually, I believe it is.  Recently, for use on my 1/4-inch Spitfire brake
adjuster,
I obtained from my local parts store (Yates) a ratcheting four point box
wrench.  A swell little tool that actually has four different sized squared
boxes (two ends w/2 sizes each), including, I am almost sure, 7/16 and 1/2 inch
sizes.

I do not recall the manufacturer*s name offhand, but I could find out, if
people are
interested.  In any case, I got it through Yates -- after I explained what
I needed, they were able to order it through their tools supplier ...

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6