LBC's in films,was Moto-Lita (Long,sorry)

To: curry@wolfenet.com (joecurry), amace@unix2.nysed.gov, hiu06f@bangor.ac.uk (johnnystorm), smith007@ix.netcom.com (philsmith), triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: LBC's in films,was Moto-Lita (Long,sorry)
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 07:11:24 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 29/10/97  08:37:08, you write:
<< Subj:        Re: Moto-Lita
 Date:  29/10/97  08:37:08
 From:  curry@wolfenet.com (Joe Curry)
 To:    GuyotLeonF@aol.com
 CC:    hiu06f@bangor.ac.uk, smith007@ix.netcom.com (philsmith),
triumphs@autox.team.net

 GuyotLeonF@aol.com wrote:
 > I knew it,I knew it!
 > If I put DB6 it would be 5 and 'vicky verky'!
 > Thanks for pointing out the fact that I am human,
 > After all,to err is human,so I must be ever so human!
 Leon,

 You will learn as I have recently that before you put anything out
 among this blood-thirsty group, you'd better be damn sure you are
 correct.  Rest assured that if you are wrong, you will be humbled (if
 not pummled) immediately.

 Remember the old axiom, "to err is human, to err on the Triumphs list is
 downright stupid"  I think that's how it goes.

 Cowering in the corner,
  Joe Curry    '63 Spit

Yeah right,thanks Joe,I take you point,chew it over a bit,realise it's lost
all it's flavour and stck it on the table leg! :-)

Joking aside,I guess it's easy for some folk,obviously blessed with
photographic memories,(Ironically,I can't remember the proper term for
that,although I do remember that the lovely 'Kes' in Star Trek Voyager has
just such a memory,apart from her other attributes)

Personally,I can't remember how long it has been since I last watched
'Goldfinger'
made in ?1965ish? (possibly) but to remember if the Silver Aston Martin was a
DB5 or DB6 after all these years is obviously beyond me!
Actually on reflection,it has occured to me that Johnny 'Storm' is in his
early twenties,and I'm 38,so if it is,say 12 years,since I last watched
Goldfinger,then young Johnny was about 8 years old!    I wonder when he last
watched the film? hmmm...

Anyhow,I think that was the best Bond Film,and I was talking about the
steering wheel not the car,wasn't I ?
Do you remember the Aston Martin DB Convertible pushed of the cliff by the
'Mafia' at the very beginning of the Film 'The Italian Job' ? Well,it was
totally destroyed as you might expect,but did you know that they had to do it
with two seperate Astons before they got it to fall as they wished? It is
worth noting that the present day value of those two cars far exceeds the
entire budget for that (otherwise excellent) film.
(in those days they used real cars not mock-ups)
Note also that they only made seven of that particular model in convertible
form!!!
Now I'm not given to swearing but but but :-O &%$^#"#$

The 'Mafia' who did that dastardly deed also used a digger's scoop (I think)
to flatten the windscreen of a Signal-Red early model E-type roadster (4.2 I
think), down onto
the cabin area,level with the bonnet. (Arghhh)
Fortunately,I understand that particular car has since been rescued &
restored.

Film makers are obviously not lovers of 'our' kind of cars,and it is a well
known fact that Francois Truffaut (spelling?), the french film maker of the
1960's-70's postively hated English cars,and wrecked many in his
films,eg.'Day-into-Night',(Day-and-Night?),in which he had a brand new
Parisian registered Dark Blue/White Soft-top Vitesse 2L-Mk.1 Convertible
'driven' off a high cliff!,I was speechless with rage when I saw
that,especially as I've just spent 13 years rebuilding one of those!!!
I had videoed that film,and watched that clip many times in slow motion and
was most impressed at how the little car went over the cliff,nose first,but
not rolling over or anything,it bounced down the side of the cliff,the weight
of the chassis apparently keeping it upright,the doors stayed shut all the
way down,I think the boot lid flew open half way down,and when it hit the
shallow river at the bottom,one of the doors flew open,and the bonnet became
unlatched but stayed down. Structurally the car was still all in one piece
and would still have protected the occupants,although the force of the impact
may well have killed them! I was impressed! Also it did not,like almost every
car in American films,burst into a ball of flame!

I also have a Belgian friend who rallied his Vitesse Convertible,but hit a
rock sideways on top of a ravine,this smashed the two alloy wheels on that
side of the car,and it went down the ravine,rolling sideways,over and over.
He,(a tall 6foot 6" chap),survived,with bruising! (as did his co-driver).The
car was unfortunately written off,and parted out for whatever could be
salvaged. He described to me how the soft-top-frame was bending in and out
like a sprung steel protective cage,it finally succumbed,but did provide a
surprising amount of protection on the way down...

Anyhow,I've talked long enuff.
Nice corresponding with you,Joe.
Kind Regards
Leon