FW: Engine bay paint etc..

To: "'paul@hobbytyme.com'" <paul@hobbytyme.com>
Subject: FW: Engine bay paint etc..
From: Mark Sinclair <msinclair@dis-inc.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:59:16 -0800
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Paul
Arildsen <paul@hobbytyme.com>]]

     Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 10:20:58 -0400
     From: Paul Arildsen <paul@hobbytyme.com>
     Subject: Engine bay paint etc..

I apologize if this is a re-post. I have posted twice to this news
group and have not seen a reply. Either I'm doing something wrong or I
guess nobody has a response:) So hopefully somebody will respond with
at least a note that this post did in fact reach the masses.

1) I've sandblasted the engine bay and would like to paint it.
     What should I use?

2) My exhaust manifold has a 2 in crack in it. Has anybody had any
success with a welded manifold?

Paul

I just had my headers welded. It had a fairly large crack where the pipes
join (4-1). I can still hear a slight leak and I don't expect it to last
for more than a few months - but it did only cost me about $35.
I removed it myself, had a local muffler shop do the welding on the crack
($15), reinstalled it myself with some muffler tape for the joint, and then
drove back to the shop for them to weld up the joint ($20). Worst part was
lying under the car for an hour cutting the pipe in the first place.
I think the welding on the crack might have been more successful if the guy
hadn't 'done me a favour' and dunked the manifold in cold water to 'cool it
off' directly after finishing the welding.

Related question for the list - had anyone successfully installed some sort
of bolted flange connection between the manifold and exhaust system? When I
next replace the system I'd like to be able to remove and reinstall it
without welding. The local muffler shop said they didn't think there was
room for a flange without causing a clearance problem.

Regarding the paint, can't speak from experience but I've heard others
recommend POR15 (www.por15.com) for this application.

Mark Sinclair
64 Spitfire