tranny, diff, and oil pan drain plugs - answer

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: tranny, diff, and oil pan drain plugs - answer
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:47:29 -0600
Hi all, Dave Terrick here. (I warned you I'd be lurking - glad to see we're
talking TR's again).

Two questions have been repeatedly asked:  thread size of said plugs and
wrenc size.  Well, what else is there?

First,  thread size.  It is 3/8 pipe (aka NPT).  This does NOT mean 3/8
fine.  It is a tapered thread used in pipefitting.  Most larger tap and die
sets have this tap included.

Second,  wrench size.  Yes, the 7/16 wrench is correct however there are
several alternatives.  The special "4 point" socket, like the brake
adjuster one only larger, can be used.  After all, 7/16 square is 7/16
square.

Second option is a 12 point (triple square) socket.  These are most comonly
found in the cheapie socket sets.  They have 12 indentations which, of
course, corresponds to 3 sets of squares.  Their quality is often suspect
until you buy a good one (aka Craftsman, Snap on etc) and because each
indentation is shallower they will wear out much faster when abused.
(Almost all of out tools are 6 point sockets - this of course does NOT
divide into 4 wvenly which is why most box end wrenches of high quality
don't fit - they are designed to have 1 "flat" for every side of the bolt)

While we're on drain plugs, one thing I did waaay back when was fit an oil
temperature gauge.  To do this I bought a cheapie electric water temp gauge
(1/8 NPT fitting as standard on these things) and an "adaptor bushing from
1/8 to 3/8 NPT (may even have been in the kit).  I fit the sender snugly
into the adaptor and use the adaptor as an oil plug.  One wire from the
sender into the car is all that is required and it may be connected with a
round push on fitting easily.  I taped the gauge over top of the steering
column - it fits nicely between the speedo and tach - and ran the wires
down the column.  Some fiddling may be required but no holes need be drilled.

With the oil temp gauge - no lies - I could tell when I was down 1/2 quart
by a 5 degree rise in oil temp for a given operating condition (ie outside
temp plus water temp).  Also,  when the oil started to lose its'
lubricating capability (about 2,000 miles beleive it or not) the same drop
would occur.  Finally,  you can see that the oil and water temps are almost
always equal - and that with fresh oil, a cooler is almost NEVER required.

$0.06

Dave Terrick
Winnipeg