TR7 and grinding gears

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR7 and grinding gears
From: "Byron N. Brashears" <brashears@hughes.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 20:07:37 -0800
Does anyone have experience replacing the clutch and thrust bearing on a
TR7? I suspect that is the problem with my 79 TR7 5 speed. It will no
shift after it runs for a few minutes. It started a while back when I
would shift down from 5th to 4th. It is now all gears. When I started it
in reverse with the clutch depressed the car started to back up. It had
been sitting since 15 Sept, while I removed the head and had it redone.
I replaced the timing chain and refit the head. After the car warmed up
I was unable th shift into any gear. Any experience or ideas would be
appreciated, will I need any special tools, friends, perhaps some beer
or fine ale? Is really the thrust bearing? There no leaks, from the
hydraulic lines