Trunnion theory?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Trunnion theory?
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 97 20:18:47 -0500
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     What is the thinking behind trunnions anyway? On my many other cars,
     ball joints seemed to work just fine.
     The Spitfires I had before, and now the TR3, have a ball joint on top,
     and a trunnion at the bottom of the vertical link.
     Are trunnions just old technology? If so, since they obviously knew
     about ball joints by then, why not use ball joints on the bottom as
     well?
     Or, were trunnions be really high-tech, derived from racing, and only
     available on the best-designed cars of the era. Hmmm. Don't see them
     much these days...
     Any words of wisdom (WOW)?

     Regards,
     Jim Wallace