Re: FW: 1976 Triumph 1500

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: FW: 1976 Triumph 1500
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 19:27:24 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> [BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Otto Lindsey
><ol@dankaoi.com>]]
>
>      Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 19:34:02 +0000
>      From: Otto Lindsey <ol@dankaoi.com>
>      Subject: 1976 Triumph 1500
>
> I have a 1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 with 38,000 original miles on it.
> I have spent many hours over the last 3 years restoring the body, the
> interior, and the mechanics. I finally put it on the road this summer,
> only to encounter an engine problem. While it runs good, oil pressure
> and temperature are good, the engine smokes a lot! Oil smoke is heavy
> in the exhaust, but the plugs are not getting fouled. I suspect the
> valve guides are worn. I have done everything to this car by myself so
> far, but I hesitate to tackle replacing the valves and valve guides.
> Has  anyone done this? If so, can you give me any ideas as to the what I
> may
> encounter. I'm not worried about the technical complexity so much as I
> am about the need for any special tools. Also I'm not absolutely sure
> the valve guides are the problem and I would hate to spend the time only
> to find replacing the valve guides did not correct the problem.
> Thanks, Otto Lindsey  ol@dankaoi.com

You are not running one of those Valve oiler hoses that go from the
block to the head, are you.  If so, that may be the problem.  Also, If
you only have a few miles (under 1000) on the engine since replacing the
rings, they may not be seated yet.  If, however, the valve guides are
worn out, I would take the head to a machine shop.  You can get the head
completely reworked for around $200.00 or less.  THey have the tools to
do the job right.

Then you can put the head back on yourself and tell everybody you just
completed a head re-build.

Joe Curry  '63 Spit  (dreaming of doors)