Re: Victory over Window Cranks

To: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Subject: Re: Victory over Window Cranks
From: Dean Paige <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 08:41:42 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV wrote:

> Thought I would share this.
>
> A little while ago, I asked for theories on the best way to reinsert a window
>crank
> pin, a potentially enraging task.  Several methods came to the fore.  (Thanks
>again to
> the respondents.)
>
> Indeed, someone suggested that forceps (aka, a hemostat) could be purchased at
> Radio Shack (they cost less than 5 bucks).  I bought the straight-tip
>variety.  Grabbed
> the pin with the forceps, and locked on to the end.  Then, I positioned the
>door
> so that, while sitting in the car, I could pry back the bezel with a
>screwdriver, and shove
> the window crank onto its shaft with my knee.  From this unusual position, I
>was able
> to drop the crank pin right into its hole, using the forceps.  Bingo.  Time
>of job?
> 30 seconds.  To the victor belongs the spoils, BABY.
>
> If you had seen me in previous days, twisting and sweating and cursing over
>this
> silly job, you would know why this is a big deal to me.  There.  I feel
>better.
> I am leaving now to rake my yard with a purple beach toy.
>
> --
> Martin Secrest
> 73 GT6
> 74 Spitfire

Once upon a time as a poor student who couldn't afford gas or food for
that matter, let alone $5:00 for a hemostat I wracked my brain to a
solution to the crank pin problem. Need not neccessity is the mother of
invention and I found a simple solution to the problem I use to this day.
I discovered with a flash of insight while rummaging through my glove
box, that the inside cartrige to  a ball point pen (of all things) makes
a simple, flexible, cheap tool. Simply expand the opening at the top of
the cartridge with a center punch, ice pick or similar object. Insert the
tapered end of the crank pin into the enlarged hole and press it in. It
will fit quite snugly. Once I get the handle in place I just aim the
cartridge, with the pin at the end, at the hole in the crank and press it
in. Usually requires some wiggling of parts to get proper alignment.
Since the cartridge is flexible this is a simple matter. To remove the
cartridge simply twist. Those cranks are fiendishly designed and I
imagine a shriveled old gnome somewhre gloating still about the blood
sweat and tears shed over his creation. Fie on him!  The pen is mightier
then the engineers mind.

Deano