Winter storage tips

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Winter storage tips
From: "Dave Rupert"<Dave_Rupert@codl.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 97 10:25:12 -0500
     These are a few of the things I do prior to winter storage.  I'm sure
     others have a different regimen.

     1.  Change the oil.  Combustion residue in your old oil forms acids,
     which can do nasty things to your bearings over the winter.

     2.  Check the antifreeze.  Make sure that the specific gravity is
     acceptable.

     3.  Lubricate all the hinges, latch plates, bonnet and boot latches,
     etc., etc.  They seem to have a habit of getting sticky over the
     winter.

     4.  Make it a point to roll the car back and forth every week or two.
     If you don't think you can do this, pull the wheels off and put it on
     blocks.  I've had radial tires split their bands for two years running
     because they sat on one side for several months.

     5.  I've heard that it is a bad idea to start a car and run it at idle
     during long term storage.  The idea here is that the engine never gets
     thoroughly lubricated, so you do more harm than good.

     6.  Fill the tank, put sta-bil in it, and run it for a while.  This is
     to assure that you get the sta-bil into your fuel pump and carbs.

     7.  Give it a thorough washing inside and out.

     That's all I do, I'm sure others have their own tricks.

     Dave Rupert
     1967 TR4A
     1980 TR7