Re: 12.41.05 step 12 -Pesky Heads

To: prubrew@ix.netcom.com, turner@public.se
Subject: Re: 12.41.05 step 12 -Pesky Heads
From: Bristol7@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 03:42:35 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-10-15 06:12:13 EDT, prubrew@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< BL manual, section 12.41.05 step 12. Lift off cylinder head. As if.

Thanks listers for help getting my TR6 engine on to a stand.
Now for getting the head off. I've gone round with a mallet  and I've
tried using a couple of old chisels to have a go at the gasket. The old
chisels got even older. I didn't get anywhere.
I've now left the engine upside down overnight, hopefully getting an
assist from gravity.
Anything else I might try?
Adam Turner
'74 TR >>

I recently had the same problem with a testy head on our 72 TR-6. I found
that inserting a 5 foot bar (actually from a long ago abandoned weight set)
into the intake port of the manifold and  applying gentle, but firm upward
pressure on the bar, I was able to "pop" (lever) the head off the block deck.

Now mind you, the head was still on the block which was still in the car. I
think
I placed the bar into the intake port for No.5 cylinder ,and I was cautious
about the amount of upward pressure I applied because that fine Lucus
distributor resides opposite and could be subject to damage should it be
hit by the head. Also,I didn't want to ruin the intake port. It worked for
us,
however I have not heard of anyone's experience using this method on this
list and I would only use this as a last resort. I am sure others may
contribute
better methods of removing stuck heads, and I would practice patience until
reading other's contributions. Lastly do not try this on aluminum heads or
ever try wedging anything between the head (steel or aluminum) and
the block deck.  Both may (will--as I have found out) cause additional
problems. Good Luck!

Best Regards,
Kirk Yonker